The Town Clerk's Office acts as a License Issuing Agent for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). They sell hunting and fishing licenses for residents and non-residents of New York State. The conservation license year begins October 1st and ends the following year on September 30th. Before purchasing a hunting license applicants must provide proof of hunter education and proof of residency.
Fishing licenses are valid for one year from the date of purchase/activation. There is no education requirement to obtain a fishing license.
- Proof of hunter education includes EITHER a previous hunting license OR a hunter education certificate.
- Bow hunters must provide additional proof of bow-hunter education - either a previous bow license or a bow-hunter education certificate.
- Non-resident hunters should check the DEC website for acceptable forms of proof of hunter education.
- The most common types of residency proof include: NYS driver's license, NYS vehicle registration, NYS non-driver's ID, student ID, or a parent's driver's license for a minor. Additional acceptable forms of proof are shown on the DEC web site.
- Non-residents may purchase NYS hunting and fishing licenses at an additional charge. They must still provide proof of hunter education before purchasing a hunting license.
For more detailed information about hunting and fishing privileges in New York State and a fee schedule, visit the NYSDEC website at: http://www.dec.ny.gov.
Town Hunting Program